rwbowri

Re: TB-61131WIP

Post by rwbowri »

thanks Shadowbreed for the information.

SidgeniCroskin
TKID: 61131

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

So I have reached my first roadblock; the funny thing is... I actually expected it. I got my helmet today and it is WONDERFUL!

(Ignore the 'fuzz' on everything inside the lid. It's packaging)
...BUT....

...my head is too big and it won't fit inside. I believe the inner head area itself will suffice. It's just the lower head/neck area that's slightly thinner that I can't get past. I was actually planning on this while I was researching the helmets. I knew it was going to be difficult and I will have to cut this piece and begin a profile expansion build so that it will suit me. So what does that mean?

Normally, a fully painted, padded, and spiffed up lid such as this is a reason to celebrate a victory (AND I AM SO THANKFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE!). But in my case, in particular, it is just the first step of what I believe will be many more.

As always, everyone's advice, direction, help will always be appreciated. But more than that.... every ONE of you is appreciated more.

I'll keep you all posted.
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131
Sovereign Protector/Pathfinder

rwbowri

Post by rwbowri »

that is a great looking helmet. who built it for you?

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

SidgeniCroskin wrote:Normally, a fully painted, padded, and spiffed up lid such as this is a reason to celebrate a victory (AND I AM SO THANKFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE!). But in my case, in particular, it is just the first step of what I believe will be many more.
Welcome to the club. While mine wasn't pre-padded, it was otherwise finished. It fits me fine, but the paint around the chin area was scratched in shipping. An area about the size of my thumbnail was exposed fiberglass. Then, I went all thumbs trying to remove the lens before taking to a paint shop, and cracked that in the process. :bang:
Last edited by IVLIANVS on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

Respectfully request if any of you ladies or gentlemen would be able to kindly point me in the direction of a thread/any other resources on how to expand my helmet? Thank you so much!
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

SidgeniCroskin wrote:Respectfully request if any of you ladies or gentlemen would be able to kindly point me in the direction of a thread/any other resources on how to expand my helmet? Thank you so much!
There are helmet "kits" that come in two halves (front and back). If you look at the instructions for how to assemble those, you can probably get an idea how to cut and add an expansion the one you have. Here's a link to an instruction thread for one of the more popular ones:
http://www.forcepike.net/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=19

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

The above thread is probably the best to show mofification of a helmet. Just keep in mind that the dimensions/proportions of the helmet need to be maintained. I'd suggest reading the thread provided and if needed fire gmrhodes13 a PM. I bought a kit was selling, and it was fantastic, as I could size it to my head and have room for all my things like my two fan tubes. I blow fresh air up from my knees into the helmet; as hot air rises which leaves generally cooler air is closer to the ground. At outdoor events my head is usually quite comfortable and my visor doesn't fog even when directly in the sun. Same goes when indoors, for example at a huge ComicCon, I'm also comfortable and not fogged up.

One thing to keep in mind, padding will increase the heat inside the helmet a good bit. I don't use padding, and I find it far cooler to not use it. My personal suggestions is if there it not a reason to need the padding try and not use it. Airflow is already bad enough inside the helmet, why have even less space to let air move?

Make sure you leave a small gap around the visor, as it'll be your only real source of getting air in and out. Adding fans can help, but if you are blowing air in, the hot muggy air has to have a space to escape. And RG helmets are pretty airtight for the most part.

IVLIANVS

Post by IVLIANVS »

P.S. After you have adjusted the size, I might suggest painting the inside of the helmet, as well. A flat gray or darker color, that could be as simple as spraying the entire thing when you do your primer coat. Then mask off the inside when you do the gloss paint on the outside.

Maybe it won't bother you. Maybe it doesn't affect this helmet as much - however, in other helmets I have used, I found that a dull, darker interior made it easier for my eyes to adjust to looking out of it than when light is dancing off of a more reflective surface. I got the tip from friends who are fencers, who noticed it with their masks. One of them even said she got dizzy from trying to look through a silver mesh before switching to a black one.

rwbowri

Post by rwbowri »

sounds like a great tip on painting the inside of the helmet with a darker color to use, I will have to try it and see how it works.

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tip about painting the inside. That'll definitely help!

I took the padding out of the helmet and it's so close! I was pondering as to whether or not to sand the 'tight' areas inside of the front and back before I planned on cutting it half and began the process mentioned above. But the lid is pretty thin. I wouldn't want any structural integrity to be compromised. Thoughts?

Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131