TB-61131WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

SidgeniCroskin
TKID: 61131

TB-61131WIP

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

Hello all,

So I've decided to build a Royal Guard and I'm starting from scratch. I've perused many threads on here as well as conferred with a couple Guards in my Garrison. I got in touch with the helmet producer that they recommended but he told me that his helmets fit up to a 24" inch head. Mine is 26", however. So I'm looking for helmets primarily based on size as opposed to the movie it came from. I'm getting my hands on a helmet weekend from a friend that he said was "expensive". I know nothing else about it but I'll put pictures of it on here once I get it if there's any chance of it being legit. Once I find a helmet that fits, then I'll choose the costume's movie source.

I would like to know if there are updated sources for where to get approvable gloves, approvable boots, etc. You know, the works. Is Imperialboots.com worthy? Thoughts on a Rubies helmet? (I'm spit-balling stone random thoughts). Some of the links on here are older and there doesn't seem to be much in FS (which totally fine!) I'm having difficulty finding a pattern to create my under garments as well as outer garments. How can I make the sash?

I thank everyone now as well as in the future for all of the help, advice, and recommendations.
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131
Sovereign Protector/Pathfinder

IVLIANVS

Re: TB-61131WIP

Post by IVLIANVS »

I know there are some kits that come in halves, and you can then add space between them if necessary.

This seems to be one of the more common ones. Maybe give it a try:

http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1757

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

I bought a kit from a vendor on the forums here (can be seen in my WiP thread). Was a bit of work, and a lot of learning, but being able to size it for my head was a lifesaver. The other pre-made helmets I tried from other local Garrison members didn't fit me at all. The kit was my first major project like this, but as it came in two halves I could size it as required to fit my head. I added space so I can wear sports glasses underneath, so I can see clearly as well. My regular glasses weren't able to fit with the visor installed.

Definitely worth checking out if you have a head size that won't fit into the pre-made helmets.

Edit: The link above is the kit I bought.

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

So I'm continuing to research and ask around in my garrison. Does someone know of "the" reputable helmet and inner/outer vendor from Argentina?
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

JosaN

Post by JosaN »

SidgeniCroskin wrote:So I'm continuing to research and ask around in my garrison. Does someone know of "the" reputable helmet and inner/outer vendor from Argentina?
Are you talking about custom-props on ebay?

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Imperial Boots is probably one of the only places that sells "Royal Guard" boots and gloves. But I personally found them overpriced for what they were, however others have gotten them and they could probably report on the quality better than me.

Some just go for the black boots, although I personally wanted more accurate. It didn't take too long to find some on AliExpress that fit the bill and only cost me $30 including shipping.

Rubies helmet works, but I believe there are some modifications that should be done for it but they are relatively minor. One is to help prevent it from cracking at the screw mount spots. My suggestions is to definitely ensure your head will fit into the helmet. I ended buying a kit from Australia as none of the pre-made helmets would fit my head.

Inner robe is a standard thawb pattern that can be found very easily online without purchase. Patterns for the outer robes are hit and miss. The pictures from the CRL and the WiP threads of recently approved Guards will probably be the best place to start.

Ceris_Galstan
TKID: 32946

Post by Ceris_Galstan »

SidgeniCroskin wrote:So I'm continuing to research and ask around in my garrison. Does someone know of "the" reputable helmet and inner/outer vendor from Argentina?
I wonder if you're referring to FP. I don't know much about the robes (someone else may be able to comment), but I bought my helmet from them and love it. It fits my head just fine (leaves me a little space to hide a fan in the bottom point), but I think it may be a bit big on some people.

Hope that helps...good luck with your build!

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I have an appointment with my seamstress next week. I am going to show her the CRL and as many pics as I can find of the inner and outer robes. I still haven't got a helmet. Once I am able to try one on, then I'll move on that. IB is bit much for boots. Either way, I've still got a lot to do in preparation but I will post pics as progress is made. I appreciate everyone's help and feedback.
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

Good plan. I have FP robes and they don't flow at all, and are quite flat. Given the current CRL I don't think they'd approve. 5 years ago they did.. but yea.

Seamstress is the perfect way to go.

Boots wise LT worked thoroughly with Crow for a movie accurate boot, but be prepared to pay. I've found red suede alternatives before on amazon amd ebay that while passable, aren't as accurate in the toe shape. It's been a couple of years since I looked, but generally looking for a woman's boot helps in the red suede department (then having feet thst can squueze into them).

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

SidgeniCroskin

Post by SidgeniCroskin »

I think I'm going to order the combo from IB. Gloves and boots.
Andy Youell
TR/TB-61131