Darth Aloha's ROTJ Build

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

darthaloha
TKID: 9674

Re: Darth Aloha's ROTJ Build

Post by darthaloha »

Sascha_Wilsing wrote:The slit is covered with overlapping parts.
The lining is all around the outer robe.
Hi. Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm making my questions clear enough. I will try again and keep asking.

Here is the same question posed a few ways just in case: What does overlapping parts mean? How do you overlap a slit in fabric? What does it look like? Is there some sort of flap on one side of the arm slit? Does someone have an example of what this means?

And the other question posed a few ways: Is the lining sewn together to the outer robe at the hem and up the slit? Should I sew the two pieces together all along the bottom and hem them together? Should I sew the outer robe and its liner together up the arm slit?

Thanks again for your help and patience,

-Eric

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

darthaloha wrote:
Sascha_Wilsing wrote:The slit is covered with overlapping parts.
The lining is all around the outer robe.
Hi. Thanks.

I'm not sure I'm making my questions clear enough. I will try again and keep asking.

Here is the same question posed a few ways just in case: What does overlapping parts mean? How do you overlap a slit in fabric? What does it look like? Is there some sort of flap on one side of the arm slit? Does someone have an example of what this means?

Image It attaches at the top right side.

And the other question posed a few ways: Is the lining sewn together to the outer robe at the hem and up the slit? Should I sew the two pieces together all along the bottom and hem them together? Should I sew the outer robe and its liner together up the arm slit?

When you cut the outer robes cut the lining to be places on that. Then sew those together then sew the parts together.

Thanks again for your help and patience,

-Eric
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

darthaloha

Post by darthaloha »

Awesome. So there is supposed to be extra fabric to create an overlap. Those images are very helpful. I'm dying to make the CRL more specific in this regard.

And from Stephen's cryptically inscrutable reply I'm guessing the liner is somehow hemmed/sewn into the outer robe. I'm still lost as to how. Maybe I'm just a sewing dummy?

My next question is about fabric... all the fabric I've seen to buy is around 45" or so wide. I purchased the mccalls pattern 2810 but I'm baffled how I'm supposed to not have a seam up the front.

For realz.... does anyone have an actual pattern for the ROTJ outer robe they can share? It seems crazy that such a thing doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance,

-Eric

darthaloha

Post by darthaloha »

Below you can see my McCalls 2810 front and front/side patterns on top of 45" fabric. I don't see how there can be no seams on the front panel.

Help?

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

darthaloha wrote:Awesome. So there is supposed to be extra fabric to create an overlap. Those images are very helpful. I'm dying to make the CRL more specific in this regard.

And from Stephen's cryptically inscrutable reply I'm guessing the liner is somehow hemmed/sewn into the outer robe. I'm still lost as to how. Maybe I'm just a sewing dummy?

My next question is about fabric... all the fabric I've seen to buy is around 45" or so wide. I purchased the mccalls pattern 2810 but I'm baffled how I'm supposed to not have a seam up the front.

For realz.... does anyone have an actual pattern for the ROTJ outer robe they can share? It seems crazy that such a thing doesn't exist.

Thanks in advance,

-Eric
Depending on a person's size your always going to have some kinda seam in fabrics. Rots Robes have them. Aotc Have them and ROTJ have them. Thats where all the Darts flow into the robes to give the feel of a flowing robe bs a straight robe it gives it volume. The velvet of the inner robes is that of the lining of the outer robes. you sew those two fabrics together.

Also to be Technical on that Center of the sash its Rope Cording too.
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

darthaloha

Post by darthaloha »

Thanks Stephen.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record asking the same question over and over and over again but when you say liner and outer robe are sewn together can you be more specific? Are they sewn along the bottom hem? If so what does that look like? How is it sewn? I have seen contractory information on these forums saying that the bottom isn't hemmed together like the way a Vader cape's satin liner isn't sewn to the outer wool fabric. Assume I know nothing about sewing, because I don't :)

The CRL photo doesn't seem to show any seams at all and I've seen mention of not having seams but does anyone have a pattern, diagram, photo, crayon doodle showing where the seams are? Saying there are seams doesn't really help without knowing how many and where they are.

I'm astounded there is no pattern out in the world for these robes.

Thanks again for your help,

-Eric

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL

Im heading off to holiday work today. I will follow up when i get home.

darthaloha

Post by darthaloha »

LuciousTalvloinne wrote:Im heading off to holiday work today. I will follow up when i get home.
Many thanks!

-Eric

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Each person's robes will probably be a little differently done as there isn't a real pattern for the ROTJ robe. I can tell you how mine was done.

On mine the side and top of the outer robe layers are sewn together. On the bottom, each of the two pieces is blind stitch hemmed. They are not sewn together, as the nap on velvet makes it much more likely to pucker, which is not what you want.

When the blind stitch is done for each piece, I have some threads between each to hold them loosely together. Doing it this way will help prevent puckering.

I'm not sure how clear I'm being... I can try and get a photo of the bottom of my outer robe if that would help.

darthaloha

Post by darthaloha »

cooldevo wrote:Each person's robes will probably be a little differently done as there isn't a real pattern for the ROTJ robe. I can tell you how mine was done.

On mine the side and top of the outer robe layers are sewn together. On the bottom, each of the two pieces is blind stitch hemmed. They are not sewn together, as the nap on velvet makes it much more likely to pucker, which is not what you want.

When the blind stitch is done for each piece, I have some threads between each to hold them loosely together. Doing it this way will help prevent puckering.

I'm not sure how clear I'm being... I can try and get a photo of the bottom of my outer robe if that would help.
Thanks! This is very helpful.

I think what I'll do is just wing it and make my own pattern somehow. The McCalls pattern is a good start but not awesome.

Does anyone think its madness that there is no definitive howto on how to sew the outer robes together?

These are pretty helpful but being a sewing neophyte I have no idea how to make that using a bolt of fabric that is narrower than the full width of the robe. I'm pretty lost but I bought a lot of cheap muslin to mess up before I cut into the actual fabric.

Thanks all,

-Eric