Canadian ROTJ

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Starwarsgeek18
TKID: 10565

Canadian ROTJ

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Hi all. For those of you who have seem my intro welcome back, for those if you who haven't, head on over there to see what I'm all about. So I'm look at and ROTJ style guard, and I am looking at purchasing most if not all because I have the creative ability of a rock!!! Here's my vendors list so far:
Helmet: ***Vendor on forum***
Gloves: IB
Boots: ***arrived***
Forcepike: open for suggestions.
Inner and outer robes: ***checking fabric availability***
Thanks a bunch!!! :tr: :trsuit:

***Edit for personal use so I don't get jumbled up.***
Last edited by Starwarsgeek18 on Mon May 29, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sascha_Wilsing
Former DL
TKID: 12112

Re: Canadian ROTJ

Post by Sascha_Wilsing »

Welcome.
Read through the board.
There you can find helmet vendors and for the pike cabbagefarmer s thread for example.

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

So, I've been poking around a little for robes, and would like your input, some of you Canadians especially, love the home input!!! http://www.khloescustomclothing.com/epf ... uard-robes

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Starwarsgeek18 wrote:So, I've been poking around a little for robes, and would like your input, some of you Canadians especially, love the home input!!! http://www.khloescustomclothing.com/epf ... uard-robes
Got to kick this one back. Just the way that it is designed just doesn't pull off the ROTJ style guard.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Thoughts? http://m.ebay.ca/itm/140934615304?_mwBanner=1 Maybe point me in the right direction for robes, cause I don't really wanna run around like a chicken without a head here.

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of options for good ROTJ pre-made robes. Most people get them custom-made, which another problem is there aren't really any good patterns. Many use a couple of cloak patterns that need to be modified.

I used a local seamstress to make mine, and she made up her own pattern. I've asked her if she could do up the pattern based on what she did, and she is looking into ways to do it, and said she'd get back to me. I gave her loads of reference pictures of the outer robe, the CRL text, and had a number of test fittings before actually cutting the velvet. For the inner robe, a standard thawb pattern is what you'll want.

If you go with a local seamstress, I'd talk to your local garrison-mates in the area to see if they have any recommendations. It's risky to be a guinea pig and try something new, could end up costing you a lot of money.

Does any of that help?

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

Yeah, I'll actually see if I can maybe get in touch with the GML so he could offer his insight, or point me toward members that could help.

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

The duty/taxes/shipping to Canada for velvet can really hurt. As it's tariff-ed, even though it's not produced in Canada. When I ordered mine last fall, even with the lousy exchange rate, it still worked out cheaper to get from the US rather than Canada. Not sure how the exchange rate currently works out, compare to the equivalent of what you could get locally versus overseas.

The local garrison can be very helpful finding some things, or unique ideas for parts, locally. As an aside, Australia has a good exchange rate to CAD, and shipping is very reasonable. That's where I got my helmet kit from, and it was a very reasonable price after exchange.

There are a few WiPs from Canada, check them out and you might find a unique way to do something that could save you money. Especially for something like making the Force Pike.

Starwarsgeek18

Post by Starwarsgeek18 »

So, a couple updates, I've emailed my Garrison GML, waiting for a reply. I was also looking at Luke's helmet, anyone got any review of it before I pull the trigger?

cooldevo

Post by cooldevo »

You should also be able to create an account with the garrison, which may vary depending on where you live. There's only a couple for Canada. I'm in the CCG, but you may fall under the Canadian Garrison depending where in Ontario you are.

http://501st.com/members/displayUnits.php#garrisons

You should be able to join the garrison, introduce yourself, and can chat about what costume you are making. Odds are there will be another Royal Guard that may be able to provide some advice. Just keep in mind that if they have been approved for a long time the standard may have changed so balance what they say with the CRL. You will be judged on the current CRL, not what someone else was approved with.