Dr01d's WIP - S. California - ROTJ

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Dr01d

Dr01d's WIP - S. California - ROTJ

Post by Dr01d »

I think I threw together a decent rough draft of the inner robes, bought supplies for a home made force pike, bought a kickass force pike from a fellow Protector, ordered mah bucket, and now I'm gearing up for a run through of the outer robes...

What has been the best pattern to use for the outer robes... 3/4 circle, half circle, fitted shoulder? Having not made a large robe/cloak like this, I am not as familiar with how the different cuts hang or drape.

Recently this was posted in another thread, a quote from Laurie Haluska:
"I remember that we cut the front panels of these glorious red robes on the bias so they would cowl nicely. And that silk velvet wasn't wide enough for the front panel to hang all the way form the neck to the floor so we had to seam two pieces together, diagonally across the front..." "... I don't remember if we had a pleat or two right at the neck in the shoulder seams under the helmet."

So... like this?

Or this (for 3/4) (Pardon the quick and crude sketch):

Cutting the velvet on the bias would let it stretch naturally and hang more. Adding extra pieces at the bottom, on the bias, with silk velvet, so that it doesn't pucker or hang oddly will be a fun little challenge. Has anyone used this method in a build?

I hope to get to the fabric store this week to pick up some cheap yardage to practice with. Any and all comments are welcome.

:tr2: