ROTJ CRL Updates

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Re: ROTJ CRL Updates

Post by Ootini »

Have to say the pinch at the top of the slit in the right side tends to stand out a lot. Now that said likely covered some by the force pike but it is going to be seen a lot more than folds up at the shoulders which get hidden by the helmet. I would almost not do the one there and try and just do them on the chest but seems from reading what VCell got its going to be a real overhaul in order to put that in with an added panel etc to get it right. Good try though there and some potential at least with pinching up at the shoulders but...

Dew
TKID: 32172

Post by Dew »

It's hard to see and hard to explain but my wife and I added a triangle of fabric in the liner to the front neck opening to hold the chest out and V shape it down. I can try and see if I can get better pics to explain later

DarthShu
TKID: 7070

Post by DarthShu »

To start, I'll admit that I didn't read all 7 pages of posts... so if something was discussed already, forgive me :) A couple of things I noticed in comparison of CRL pictures to the one that was very first posted by Jester to start this discussion: 1.) robes don't even look velvet/velveteen. 2.) the helmet. The helmet looks caved in in the front where ours bulge out (the "nose" area). So if that's the correct everything... that means our helmets are wrong too.

I also noticed in some of the close-up pictures that you can see facial features through the visors. Our CRL says "no" to facial features. So, who's right, and who's wrong?

I know we all strive to be as screen accurate as possible, and I'm 100% completely for it, but there seems to be some controversies over what is and what isn't. Really the only way we'll know what is, is ask an original movie actor that actually played a royal guard. I personally don't have that type of connections. I'm perfectly with my flowing yet straight robes right now, and while I do wish I could see more color out of my visor, I'm adhering to the current CRL :) I know I didn't answer any questions at all, and like I said, I didn't read all 7 pages of posts, so these were just my first thoughts looking through the first page of posts.

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

The whole black or mirrored visor for trooping was to hide the eyes from the public. Cause this adds the mystery of the guard. Movie accurate would be just a red visor tint. 
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

Beautiful pic Dew...and you and your wife definitely got the effect of the wave. Nicely done. If you guys have patterns you would like to share, please send me a pm. I believe this is definitely close to the mark!
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

Darth Dog
TKID: 14985

Post by Darth Dog »

Would like to see more detail of what you did Dew to get the effect.

Dew
TKID: 32172

Post by Dew »

Sorry for the delay guys, I just moved and I had to dig the robes out. Thanks for the compliments. We basically just made it up as we went along but it all started with this pattern: http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/6073/#.VWfs7HPn_qB and we *heavily* modified it. Kept the bell shape and drew it out all the way to my height. Removed the arm openings and the center slit and just left the right seam open up to the right height.
For the head opening we left it pretty wide open and instead of sewing the front velvet panel direct to the lining at the neck line we sewed an additional somewhat triangular piece in between the two. Hard to describe but in the below picture I am pinching it at the seam from the front velvet panel to the extra piece sewed between. So without the helmet it almost looks like a flap of extra velvet hanging down. The weight of that pulls the front velvet down into a V

It's really hard to see the seam in the velvet so here I kind of drew it out for you. All this sits underneath the bucket high on the chest so you only see the V shaped draping down

Ootini

Post by Ootini »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

not sure who it is but Florida Garrison 501st from the Disney Weekend Parade. Got a bit of the wave an not so flat look rocking it!

Figured would share the shot here. :trsuit: Makes me totally antsy all the more to get the costume done to be able to be in it!

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

I wonder if the picture is flipped. I'm unsure of ROTJ guards with a left arm unless there is a health reason.

Ootini

Post by Ootini »

JesterTDA wrote:I wonder if the picture is flipped. I'm unsure of ROTJ guards with a left arm unless there is a health reason.

Wow ya know I never noticed that before!! Nope pic isnt flipped either. Wonder if it was not a rotj one perhaps??