ROTJ CRL Updates

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Darth Dog
TKID: 14985

Re: ROTJ CRL Updates

Post by Darth Dog »

My FP robes should be about ready to ship. I do hope that there will be no issue with getting them approved. Would hate to think I just flushed $300 down the drain. I do appreciate improving standards but feel that exceptions should be made for those caught in the middle.

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

Normally once a decision is made there is a period of time given as to when the changes come into effect. This gives those in the middle a deadline on which to get approved. Sometimes if you've already paid for things and they don't arrive before the deadline, DL can work with the relevant GML and possibly make an exception.

Just depends.

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

Dear Darth Dog, Cybermew3 is correct. These changes, if any are decided upon, will probably not go into effect with a grace period of at least 3-6 months. At the same time, and as has been mentioned before, any guards approved under the original CRL will be grandfathered in...a strategy used in every other Detachment when updating the CRLs.

With respect to the tutorial, I agree with all of those who have requested it or supported it. I also agree that the "wave" effect is directly linked to body shape. I fully understand that women with large chests or members with large body types may have the robes behave differently than those with a very slim build. Our Detachment values diversity of every type and this factor should definitely be taken into consideration.

I believe that if there are any members out there that have been able to replicate the undulating robes as seen in the book picture, we would highly appreciate the patterns used to create this effect or any other specific material that helped achieve the effect. There are hints of a "yoke", but I have not been able to secure a picture or diagram of it.

Thank you all for expressing your opinions, concerns and ideas. The more perspectives we have, the more informed the decision will be.
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Im in talks with a seamstress at the moment who has a ROTJ guard and is a member of the Detachment. You also have to remember there will be some GMLS out there regardless if standards are changed and updated that will still go on with their merry way of how they are doing things. To this date we still see folks getting in that are under the standard requirements.
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

Helloprilly
TKID: 90112

Post by Helloprilly »

Having read all this, it is nice to see the discussion especially for those of us in the middle of our builds. I will say I have tops that have a "wave" or fold pattern similar to the picture in the book and they never fall properly on me. Trooping in a sports bra notwithstanding, they are uncomfortable, highly constricting for women with a larger chest and frankly would only add to the heat/sweating issue IMO. I expect to be hot in the robes but I would also like to be able to breathe somewhat normally as well.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Helloprilly wrote:...I would also like to be able to breathe somewhat normally as well.
Have you worn a helmet yet? :)

Helloprilly
TKID: 90112

Post by Helloprilly »

JesterTDA wrote:
Helloprilly wrote:...I would also like to be able to breathe somewhat normally as well.
Laughs. No not yet. Though they are done and on the way today!! :trsuit: correction the force pikes are done and being sent today. Woops! Good thing ootini is keeping track of all this for me.

But that then just further validates my point. besides sports bras can further exasperate the "fold" issue by lift.

Man I cant believe I am actually discussing this in all seriousness. :o

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

JesterTDA wrote:
Nah she hasn't had one on though she did wear my mascot head for a short time, but it had cooling vents in the top and a fan inside of it to boot! She's already planning on having it on and having me give her lessons in moving about and how to function in a costume that way. The waiting for everything ordered to arrive is the worst though! :D

Soon enough it will be :trsuit:

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

As our search for answers continues I will just add to the pile of potential avenues to explore. Below, I have copied both the e-mail sent to Brandon Alinger (author of the Star Wars Costumes book) and his reply.

But before I share these e-mails with our current and future ROTJ guards, I want to thank all of you that have participated in this discussion. It is with your help and with your input that the Detachment is formed, one step at a time.

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for the amazing work compiled on the Star Wars Costumes "The Original Trilogy". It is safe to say that the impact you have made with your book on the 501st Legion worldwide has been, in a word, enlightening.

A phrase attributed to Albert Einstein says: "If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor." I believe there is no better depiction of that phrase than the hundreds of images found in your book.

When imparting knowledge, the natural consequence is the creation of more questions and there is one that has been on the minds of the Royal Guards for the past 14 years. How on Earth were they able to make the "waves" (front and back) below the neckline on the Guard's outer robes? This is a question that may be simple to answer for the creators, but we have spent years trying to replicate the effect and failed every time. The robes end up falling flat.

We were wondering if you could either forward this e-mail to both Aggie and Laurie or provide us with their contact info.

Hoping to find answers to the question that has haunted us for more than a decade.

Best Regards,

TR-12221
Executive Officer Sovereign Protectors Detachment
501st Legion

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for your kind words! I think there may be something inserted into the neckline of the guard's cloak, like a chain, which might be affecting how it hangs. The weight of the fabric and the cut probably factor in as well. I will ask Aggie if she has any memories of this.

Very best
Brandon

Brandon Alinger
Chief Operations Officer LA
TR-12221

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Wow, know what, when you think of it and look at say historical cloaks etc they all had the attaching chain across the neck so in a way that would in fact make perfect sense if the draping wave effect was caused by some sort of chain or weighting of the fabric to ensure and keep the wave. Will be interesting to see what comes of the info there.