ROTJ CRL Updates

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Re: ROTJ CRL Updates

Post by V-cell »

I concur with what Sascha, Cabbagefarmer, Jester and Lucius have said in the following ways:
1) FP robes no longer approved UNLESS they make modifications that take into account the changes we are proposing to be done to the CRL
2) New robe builds must have the "wave" pattern. Guards that were approved with flat robes can continue to troop with the robes they were approved with.
3) Boots, agree with Jester. We can emphasize red suede boots, but due to the fact that they are seldom seen, the minimum of German Jackboots should stand.
4) Lenses - As long as they are black, red or black mirrored/red mirrored...I say it's fine by me.
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

Ootini
TKID: 41908

Post by Ootini »

Ok newb and all here but just something I had pm'd Sascha with as I thought of it given as I've been following along having purchased the fp robes.

1) I think if we want to get people looking the same, perhaps a good idea to sort out exactly HOW we want to achieve the wave pattern here before we get just a whack of everyone with different ways to get it. Pinching up by the collar down the shoulder for example to give the wave and bunching seen in the pics but would also be hidden mostly by the helmet too. This way we have a more... uniform look... as it were.

2) Something to consider here. Women likely could have an issue here given they have chests guys dont. While that works with everyone flat, it is quite possible and probable the waves are going to get skewed for them in appearance, again depending on type and HOW that is decided to be accomplished.

Just something to think on and fine tune would say. :trsuit:

Eldresh
TKID: 62388

Post by Eldresh »

Ootini wrote:2) Something to consider here. Women likely could have an issue here given they have chests guys dont. While that works with everyone flat, it is quite possible and probable the waves are going to get skewed for them in appearance, again depending on type and HOW that is decided to be accomplished.
Larger chested women should still be fine. The wave pattern helps to actually disguise the chest some, and if it does look odd or awkward you can wear a sports bra or other somewhat compressing type garment.

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

From what I have read so far, I can see some hypocrisy when it comes to the accuracy of the ROTJ RG.

1. You want the wave pattern on the robe even though there are sources that show the flat chest.

2. The eyes are visible through the RED visor in the movie, but you want mirrored black OR red so you cannot see the eyes.

3. You will be allowing black boots even though there is a source for the red suede ones.

I say 'All Or Nothing' guys. Either you let these inconsistencies continue or stop them completely.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having a BASIC approval level and then encourage people to be as accurate as possible.

For me, it's all about the kids and the kids love my flat chested, black booted Royal Guard with red mirrored lens. They know what it is and they love it. Isn't that what it's all about?

dark_jedi_ire

Post by dark_jedi_ire »

To Say Im in Trouble is an understatement..for contributing to this subject.. As My wife has only received her Royal from FP about a month ago and has only just submitted for clearance..haha..

As I have agreed with the idea of changing the CRL or at least updating it, to a more Screen accurate Royal..

I, in a way agree with gruff in relation to a basic level entry and a More screen Acurrate Version,. Kinda Like the Standard 501st TK`s and their centurian level
Screen accurate TK`s compared to a standard entry TK. ( not just saying this Cause Im in trouble,, honest :D ), I think the FP outer robe is just plain wrong, but
thats just me, but for those that have the robes and will be getting ( As I was about to also for myself next month and now put on hold) I think a basic requirement
level should be a certain standard and if that`s the flat chest so be it,.

I agree that now you can source boots, the rquirement for Black boots should be dumped as a basic Requirement. But in egards to the visor even when you can See
eyes and features on screen, I think as a minimum it should be that no features should be Seen, if thats by Means of a red visor( all in favour of) mirrored visor or
black visor, it adds to the air of what a royal guard is...

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Gruff wrote: Also, there is nothing wrong with having a BASIC approval level and then encourage people to be as accurate as possible.
I'd be interested in hearing the argument against levels. I'm neither for nor against, as many other detachments have accuracy levels it's not unheard of.

V-cell
TKID: 12221

Post by V-cell »

Hello Gruff,

Hypocrisy is not the word I would choose at this moment, as that would imply that we would raise the standards, defend them with zeal, yet those that established them failing to comply.

However, we are in the middle of trying to hammer out an agreement with the input of members in the detachment and whenever multiple perspectives are taken into account. Polarization is a normal part of discussions like these and the key is to find a cohesive medium.

Maybe, a two tiered system (one for basic approval and another being movie accurate) would help take into account the efforts of both current and future members in their quest to contribute to the Legion. It is no secret that the Legion counts with those that are passionate defenders of movie accurate costumes, always seeking for canon quality, while there are others that use the costume as a vehicle to participate in charity work. Another group likes to do both.

If a two tiered system were to be established, I would recommend to use the pictures as a guide for future members. However, only the movie accurate depiction should be used on the Legion's website as a testament of the highest quality of costume achievable. This is just my perspective and I am always open to listen and learn from others perspectives.
Alejandro Uribe-Benninghoff
TR-12221

cjfrancese79
TKID: 89620

Post by cjfrancese79 »

I personally feel that before you make changes to the CRL that require a certain drape and wave pattern on chest, there should be a detailed tutorial on how to tailor the robes that way.

I constructed my robes the way FP does and wish I found some of the images where and extra panel is added on the sides before I finished. I tried to get the drape look but with a broader chest and bit of a stomach, the robes just flatten out. A good tutorial would be nice.
Christopher Francese
TR/TI/IC/IG 89620
Northeast Remnant

Gruff
TKID: 11014

Post by Gruff »

Yes V-Cell, you are absolutely correct. I used the wrong word. I did not mean 'hypocrisy' at all. I should have used the word 'inconsistencies'. I wrote that at work after I wrote a letter to a client who was calling my team hypocrites, so I had that word on the brain.

To anyone that reads this thread, please accept my apology. I did not intend to imply that those wanting to change the CRL were hypocrites. I merely wanted to point out that there were inconsistencies with the proposed new requirements.

Jester - One reason that some troopers don't like the tiered system of approval is that they feel it creates elitism. As a member of the SLD, I can tell you that it does happen. However, there is no one correct answer or path to take when trying to update a CRL. There would be no need to have a level or tiered system in place, just the word 'Optional' in the CRL with a detailed description of the best we can hope to achieve for that particular detail.

By making the CRL very difficult to attain we will be discouraging people from choosing this costume. By all means, reach out to those that manufacture the robes and see if changes can be made, but don't stop them from making a living just because you want to be elitist. I have seen what too high a standard can do to an organization before and I'd hate to see that happen here.

Well. That's my 2 cents. I hope I haven't offended anyone. My diplomacy skills aren't the best I've been told. That's why my nickname is Gruff.

dark_jedi_ire

Post by dark_jedi_ire »

I personally feel that before you make changes to the CRL that require a certain drape and wave pattern on chest, there should be a detailed tutorial on how to tailor the robes that way.

Couldnt agree with this enough...

Have spoken to several seemstress`s and showed them the Book as Well as Many many screen shots, and the best they could come up with wasnt close enough.. mightened have been the best but if We knew or had a detailed Tutorial to follow, but that might not be possible.. unless we somehow intergate the original designers and makers themselves :D