Seattle RG WIP

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

needanID

Seattle RG WIP

Post by needanID »

Now that the Christmas rush is behind us, I was able to start looking for some velvet for the outer robes. I ordered a 15 yards of gab burgundy for the inner robes and gloves like many on here have ordered and used. I went to my local fabric store and found these three velvets that might work. The first one is my favorite based upon the other recent builds. On all of them I put a white light on them at the border of the crimson-burgundy border to better see the contrast.

This is my favorite of the three.

these other two are also options.
The second one.

Under florescent lighting this third one looked ok, but under a more direct light it seemed a little too dark...

What does the group think?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: Seattle RG WIP

Post by stripes »

The first choice would be the correct colour.

needanID

Post by needanID »

Well, bolt that was the best only had 5.25 yards of fabric, in two parts, so I had to order a full bolt to ensure enough material.
without flash
With flash
With the startup of the latest semester and work I didnt have the chance to get it out of the shipping box till tonight. Does the velvet still look alright?

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

It's a bit dark so you'll have to watch and make sure your helmet matches the robes for colour.

needanID

Post by needanID »

Aye it is just a touch darker than the same fabric number at the store, the joys of dye lots. I'm contacting shops who might be willing to paint to match the fabric. :tr:

needanID

Post by needanID »

OK, this is what I have for a pattern on the under robe thawb.

It looks my gore section should be a little longer if I want to ensure no more than 3 inches from the ground with boots on.
Sorry for the goofy pose on this last pic.... :tr:

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

Great use of mocking up the pattern. Put on some conservative boots and mark where it comes up no more than to inches to allow for a no trip aspect with the underrobe. The outerrobe to measure on that you should be able to see the point of the boot stick out from the bottom. No one wants to see us trip over the Ropes. Safety first :)
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

needanID

Post by needanID »

I have the muslin tempate I came up with ripped apart and used it to trim the burgundy fabric. Almost time to start sewing.

Other members recommended a costume shop in Germany for burgundy gloves.... well they are much too dark to really work with my fabric. I'll just use them as templates as there are fewer stitch lines in them than other gloves. I photographed them with a bright flash to get less contrast, but are still not close enough.

needanID

Post by needanID »

And disaster strikes. The shoulder seam was down along my deltoids and I ripped the seams and trimmed the torso fabric a bit. But managed to take too much even after measuring 3 times. I have enough fabric to do another thawb but will have to order another lot of burgundy fabric for my outer robe lining. As they will be from separate lots do the inner robes and outer liner have to match exactly or would slight fabric color differences from different dye lots be ok?

Keyla

Post by Keyla »

I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to say that it's really tough luck that it happened :( next time around, try cutting less than the amount you had measured to remove, and do it in stages of smaller trims - much safer. Best of luck!