It has begun :D

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

TankReady

Re: It has begun :D

Post by TankReady »

stripes wrote:
TankReady wrote:I read that lining and inner robe are to be of the same material, (and same colour right?)
https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p884 ... -gabardine

would this gabardine be acceptable as colour for the tahwb and the lining?
Gaberdine is a type of material, not a colour. You will need velvet or velveteen for the outer shell and you can choose the same or gabardine for the lining and inner robe.

The colours should be crimson red to match your helmet for the outer and burgundy or wine for the lining and inner robe.
yeah sorry, I shaped poorly my phrase.

The question was if gabardine in that kind of color was fine.
Being that it doesn't have to match the outer robe or anything else.
As for the outer robe I'm still looking for the best velvet for my bucket

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

Gaberdine will be fine for the lining and inner robe.

To get the best possible match, you should find the fabric and then paint the helmet to match.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Here we go :D Today I went fabric hunting!

The good news is I found a really nice velvet:
The colour is very similar so I think I'll go with this to start having the robe done, and I'll see afterwards if the helmet will need a touch up.

As for the lining I found some fabric of a good color (at least to me it seems the right one :P) :

None of them is gaberdine or velvet though. The clerks told me in that color I could go with cotton or jersey. Is any of those material valid?
The two "purpleish" ones are good as far as we talk about the color, right?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

The colour of the third strip is correct, but the weight of the fabric is no good. You need a heavy cloth similar in weight to the velvet so that it hangs properly. A lightweight fabric such as cotton or jersey will not work. You will want a Gaberdine, or similarly heavy fabric.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Awesome :D So I can keep the third as reference for the color and look for a heavier fabric.
Thanks!

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

New update: found a heavy cloth, color is the right one, and looks kinda like velvet... the italian term is fustagno, seems it translates to moleskin.
Any idea if that could work?

Or, and between all it seems the best one I found so far, there is a gabardine with some polyestere in it, which seems a very good color.
As we all know, pictures aren't the best when comparing colours, still this seems a really matching one, and the material is the best I've seen til now.

in this pic they all seems darker then they really are...

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

You do not want moleskin or fleece.

You are wanting a heavy weight, tight weave cloth that when sewn will drape the same way as the velvet outer shell. This is why Gaberdine is a good alternative to velvet or velveteen.

**Keep in mind, that Gaberdine is just an example of an appropriate fabric. There are many options out there that are similar in weight to Gaberdine that will work.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

stripes wrote:You do not want moleskin or fleece.

You are wanting a heavy weight, tight weave cloth that when sewn will drape the same way as the velvet outer shell. This is why Gaberdine is a good alternative to velvet or velveteen.

**Keep in mind, that Gaberdine is just an example of an appropriate fabric. There are many options out there that are similar in weight to Gaberdine that will work.

I apologize if maybe it seems I keep asking the same thing over and over, they try everywhere to find substitute to what I ask, not to mention that I know totally nothing about cloths and when they suggest other things I have no idea how they could or not be equal to what I should get.
I'm gonna go with the last gabardine then (the one still on the bolt) if having some polyestere in it doesn't rule it out.

HAHAHA dang, your ** will make it so I'll keep coming back and asking for any kind of fabric they suggest me :D

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

Better to ask questions before buying that just getting something and finding out that it isn't acceptable later on!!

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Of course, but I fear to be annoying with my repeated requests!

If you approve the gaberdine I mentioned early I think I could be good to go though!
I have the velvet (gonna buy it tomorrow or monday) and I'll have my seamstress start working on it by tuesday!