It has begun :D

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Re: It has begun :D

Post by Cybermew3 »

Part of me feels if you go 3 pleats on the shoulders, you'll hide the seams in the pleats. Regarding the back, I personally was looking at 3 pleats, or maybe darts into pleats starting under the helmet; 1 near either shoulder, 1 in the middle from the neck (maybe even 2 from there), to hide seams and give flow.

I believe shape wise it needs to kind of triangle out, so rather than be straight up and down, a little wider at the bottom than it is up the top. I haven't figured how exactly I'd put the arm split on my second set of robes, but I imagine it might start from near under the helmet and come down from there. I'll be going 10metres of fabric at a minimum for flow etc... but I'm just on the 6ft and 78Kg so you may need more depending, probably not less if you want to achieve a nice flow.

One of the french guys put up a fantastic thread in here awhile ago, it might be on page 2 or 3 by now. It didn't have patterns, bit visually it was awesome to look at. It would be a great reference for you to look at (I'm on my phone so not sure which thread it is sorry). I also may have the wrong idea with exactly how many pleats on shoulders etc... but a pleat hiding a seam would be the way to go I'd imagine.

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Post by stripes »

The pattern that I posted for the AoTC/RoTS style could be used for this robe as well....

The main difference is RoTJ only have the one arm opening.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Oh I see now! So in this version on the left side everything will be seamed, while on the right there will be the slit for the arm, correct?
This indeed helps a lot!

@Cybermew you talking about this thread?
http://forcepike.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=218
it is surely a gift for reference needs!

Cybermew3
TKID: 5973

Post by Cybermew3 »

Yep that's it. One of the best I've seen. Pretty much the look I'm aiming for on my second set, whenever I get around to it...

TR - 5973 (ROTJ)
Dylan "Norbitt" Saunders
Redback Garrison
2014 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - PR Team
2018 - Sovereign Protectors Detachment Command - COG

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

stripes wrote:The pattern that I posted for the AoTC/RoTS style could be used for this robe as well....

The main difference is RoTJ only have the one arm opening.

I'm back!
Do the front panel overlaps the right one on the top (and is then sewed downwards?) or the two panels are sewed at the edges?
I've drawn a terrible mockup, the question is, panel 1 gets sewed as in top figure, or bottom?
http://i.imgur.com/PXK73bN.jpg

This is how my seamstress thinks it should be.
http://i.imgur.com/sNmjXrx.jpg
And how she mocked it up:
https://imgur.com/a/SVsNd

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

On my outer robe, the right arm seam is where the robe opens and closes. It has hooks and eyes to keep it closed along the shoulder. The front panel marginally overlaps the side panel, just enough for the hooks to grab the eyes and stay closed. Below the arm it has a small overlap so that if I'm not holding my Force Pike and my arms are at my side the robe looks closed and relatively seamless.

My seamstress added a bit of a flap that is attached to the right panel that goes under the front panel, which allows for an couple of additional hooks and eyes to give it the volume on the front and help keep it sitting nicely. I may not be explaining it too well, in my case, but check out my WiP pictures. If they don't help or have the angles you need, I'll get some pictures of me with the outer robe being put on and taken off.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

cooldevo wrote:On my outer robe, the right arm seam is where the robe opens and closes. It has hooks and eyes to keep it closed along the shoulder. The front panel marginally overlaps the side panel, just enough for the hooks to grab the eyes and stay closed. Below the arm it has a small overlap so that if I'm not holding my Force Pike and my arms are at my side the robe looks closed and relatively seamless.

My seamstress added a bit of a flap that is attached to the right panel that goes under the front panel, which allows for an couple of additional hooks and eyes to give it the volume on the front and help keep it sitting nicely. I may not be explaining it too well, in my case, but check out my WiP pictures. If they don't help or have the angles you need, I'll get some pictures of me with the outer robe being put on and taken off.
I think i got it! Its kinda like my mockup, front panel overlaps right one a little, but instead of being sewn til halfway down, it has those hooks you mentioned, to keep it closed. Is it so?

cooldevo
TKID: 12380

Post by cooldevo »

That's what mine has to keep it closed, yeah. My seamstress thought it would be easier to get in and out of it that way, as well as keep it looking the right shape. The way I put it on now is similar to a cloak, drape it over one shoulder and then do up at the other shoulder.

There's no real right or wrong way to put it on, as long as it looks the part. Unless you plan on putting it over your head to get it on and off, you'll want something along that line. I steered away from velcro so it doesn't snag the pile, and the 3 hook and eyes that are along the should work nicely so far.

Edit: the drawing stripes posted above was one of the reference pictures I sent to the seamstress.... along with oodles and oodles of stills. She altered it a bit, using 1 pieces for the back, but other than that it seems to be a good template.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

So does the last mockup looks acceptable?

Also, is it fine for the cloak arm part to open while walking?

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Couple pictures snapped with my father 2 weeks ago

*_____* :tr: