It has begun :D

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: It has begun :D

Post by stripes »

Can you post a photo of the Gaberdine again?

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

TankReady wrote: Image
in this two pics it's the one still on the bolt.
the first one is the one that shows the right color

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

With the colour shown in the first picture it should work. You'll want to get enough to make the lining for the outer cloak, the inner robe and the belt. Depending on your build, this could be upwards of 20 m or more.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Excellent!
Time to get started!
I'll post pics and updates as soon as I get them!

*of course, it was too good to be true.
They only had 2 meters of the fabric I found yesterday. They will check for more and let me know on monday if they have it.
Meanwhile they showed me this other fabric:
They called it "manopesca", I tried translating it to english but I only get "made of velvet"...It's heavy and thick...

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

In my ongoing quest looking for the good fabric I did stumble upon a good velvet, but of course they only had 2 mt available...
On the other hand I found a different fabric, in italian is called dainetto, is thick and reminds velvet at the touch, but is less soft cause the "hair" is a bit shorter than that of velvet.

How does this look?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

TankReady wrote:In my ongoing quest looking for the good fabric I did stumble upon a good velvet, but of course they only had 2 mt available...
On the other hand I found a different fabric, in italian is called dainetto, is thick and reminds velvet at the touch, but is less soft cause the "hair" is a bit shorter than that of velvet.

How does this look?
This would work

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

A problem appeared!
The height of the fabric proved our first idea of having it seamless around me impossible. My seamstress asks then if seams are allowed, specifically if a seam on the left side can be made to have one back and one front joined instead of only one piece all around

Let me know if the question makes sense

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

It is impossible to build the costume as 1 solid piece.

It is highly inadvisable to build it as 2 pieces as it will not have the proper lines or flow to the costume.

I recommend as a minimum, a front, back and 2 side panels. If you really want the flow seen on screen in the movies, you may want to go with 2 back panels, 2 side panels and a front.

The real trick is making the seams so that they aren't visible when the costume is worn.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

How should the different panels be shaped?
It's hard to tell from reference online, especially talking about the back :wow:

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

TankReady wrote:How should the different panels be shaped?
It's hard to tell from reference online, especially talking about the back :wow:
Soo maybe it's me but I find myself stuck at this moment. I was hoping to meet some guards at a convention here in Italy but there was none, and on the italian site I'm having little to no help.
My seamstress is on hold cause we are trying to figure out how exactly the robe is to be shaped. Where can I get reference from which I can see how to have it done? Especially regarding the back and the seams.