It has begun :D

The Imperial Royal Guard costume as seen in Return of the Jedi

TankReady

It has begun :D

Post by TankReady »

Finally, long after receiveing my bucket, the work on my costume has begun.
My trusty seamstress did this mockup of the outer robe using pictures as reference, how does it look so far?
(I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post every single picture, so by now I'm just gonna link the photobucket album, if needed I'm gonna put the different pics)
This is mainly to understand how to create the opening for the arm, and how to overlap the edges.
http://s250.photobucket.com/user/tankre ... t=3&page=1

stripes
Former DL
TKID: 3676

Re: It has begun :D

Post by stripes »

While the mockup is good, you'll want to make sure that there is no seam on the front when it comes to the actual construction of the costume.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Yeah don't worry, there will be none, it's just cause she needed to join two different pieces to have it big enough. She already reassured me about that! :D
Thanks!

EDIT: she's asking if I need to have padded shoulders, as she noticed the costumes usually have prominent shoulders and sometimes she can perceive something rigid under there.
Is that something to be done?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

You can pad the shoulders. You want to avoid overdoing it though as you don't want to look like a football player

Vlade
TKID: 75233

Post by Vlade »

With the lining and outer shell, I didn't have to pad it to get the imposing shoulder. Velvet and Velveteen are pretty thick materials.

JesterTDA
TKID: 9392

Post by JesterTDA »

Shoulder pads are also dependent upon the person who is wearing the costume. Some people don't need them, while others do.

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

Now the "hard" part. Finding the good color... And managing not to have my leg cut off in order to pay for all the fabric :O (One of the fabric I was looking at today was 83euros PER METER :aww: )

How hard is it to paint the helmet, in case you don't find the good color of the fabric?
Also, I've seen many different fabrics, and I have no idea which one would work as all of those were velvet...

so many velvets T_T

LuciousTalvloinne
Former DL
TKID: 4126

Post by LuciousTalvloinne »

1 for the underrobe and 6 for the outer
Lucious Talvloinne TR-4126 (Stephen Davenport)
Costume Referencer 08-09 Detachment XO 09-10 Detachment CO 10-11 Detachment CO 11-12 Detachment XO 12-13 Detachment XO 13-14 Detachment X0 14-15 Detachment Mentor 15-17 Detachment CO 17-18
Owner of Carnor Jax - Captain Argyus - Revenge of the Sith Royal Guard - Force Unleashed Royal Guard

TankReady

Post by TankReady »

I read that lining and inner robe are to be of the same material, (and same colour right?)
https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p884 ... -gabardine

would this gabardine be acceptable as colour for the tahwb and the lining?

stripes
Former DL

Post by stripes »

TankReady wrote:I read that lining and inner robe are to be of the same material, (and same colour right?)
https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/p884 ... -gabardine

would this gabardine be acceptable as colour for the tahwb and the lining?
Gaberdine is a type of material, not a colour. You will need velvet or velveteen for the outer shell and you can choose the same or gabardine for the lining and inner robe.

The colours should be crimson red to match your helmet for the outer and burgundy or wine for the lining and inner robe.